Over the last few weeks, the Heritage Museum had some generous donations from Roger and Faye Yee from when they ran the Stanley Café in the late 1940s until 2002. These items include a cash register, receipt machine, calendar clock, and an oil lamp. Most of these items were already in the store before the Yee’s took over, meaning the items could be as old as 1923 when the café first moved into the building. The Yee’s took the items home with them when they retired. Before the Café, the land belonged too Livery stables for those ridding their horses in. The stables would hold out for a while as everyone switched from ridding horses to driving cars, however they eventually sold the building to Joe Traca. Traca looked to make it an automobile buisness, however the building would burn down three years after he purchased it and that plan never came to be. Eventually, in 1922 the building that is there today would be erected and the Stanley Café would move in on December 6th of the same year, sharing the building with two other businesses. The Café would outlast both business it started out with. The past businesses of Wetaskiwin can be viewed and appreciated in our business exhibit.
